How is it any different than the RTTY setups used for DXpeditions that would do essentially the same thing, listen over a wide range and stack the calls heard?  FT8 just allows them to complete 1 to 5 contacts at one time.  That to me is pretty amazing!    There is still plenty of skill in working FT8 if the goal is to get in and get out quick just like any more.  Hey if you have all day to work someone chances are you will get them sooner or later.

The cool part about this and the most important part is this mode is allowing people with really marginally poor stations to be able to actually get on Ham Radio and work people and work DX!  It has to be exciting for them!

Try to put yourself in their shoes.  It is a whole new world!  We need more activity, more active hams and maybe FT8 will be a building block to get more people in.  I would hope this is a good thing!

W0MU