I'm not "anyone who has tried remote with a satellite internet connection" but I do operate a remote station. Normally, my RT ping times to the station run around 30-50 ms and the latency is just barely apparent if I spin the Big Knob really fast.  It's really apparent if I listen off the air on a separate rig of course but I only do that if testing.  RT light time for geosynchronous satellites is in the 250 ms range to which you'd need to add any other I'net and terminal latency.

I'd guess that some kinds of remote ops would work OK on some modes [CW/SSB ragchew maybe], but RTTY and digital modes and contest operation might be a real problem.  The most noticeable for an operator might be the display delay when tuning.  At any rate, I think it would be fairly non-optimal.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County