A year (two?) ago there was a discussion of whole house standby
generators on this list.  One of the things mentioned was "soft
start" modules for A/C and other heavy current motor devices.

Of course, the discussion was not pertinent to me at the time -
we've been using a 6 KW portable for 10 years or more.  But now
the wife has decided it is time to get auto-start and capability
to handle the A/C.  She doesn't want to spend another weak without
A/C like we've faced following both Matthew two years ago and Irma
last year and doesn't want to risk that my back/neck won't act up
and prevent me from rolling out/starting the old portable.

Does anyone have a pointer to the A/C soft start controllers?  I know
our A/C (168 LRA) will certainly bog down even the biggest (22 KW)
whole house unit (and going to a 30 or 50 KW just to start the A/C
is not economically effective at 3 to 5 X the cost <G>).

   ... Joe, W4TV