While on the air on 3710 SSB I receive audio reports that say my transmitted
audio is somewhat muffled or nasal.  Making adjustments to mic gain,
compression levels, TX EQ seems to make no difference to this report. These
adjustments do change the sound of the audio but do not reduce the reports of
muffled or nasal characteristics.

I normally run the KPA500 at 500 watts PEP output and the K3s is set to 18
watts to achieve this output.

This morning I suspected that this nasal sound might be related to running the
K3s at 18 watts as that uses both the 100 watt amplifier and the 12 watt
amplifier but in series at very low drive levels.  As a test I cut off the
KPA500 and ran the K3s at 100 watts and the distortion was gone.  As a second
test I dropped the drive to 11.9 watts which dropped off the 100 watt amplifier
module and runs the low power module at almost full power and the audio was
still clean with the KPA500 delivering about 300 watts PEP.

Is this something that anyone else has observed?  Are there any built in tests
or adjustments that might help this issue?  I have run the transmitter gain
calibration at all three power levels with satisfactory results.

Oh yes,….  The condition is the same using a dynamic mic (EV RE50), an Electret
Mic (MH4 & CM500) or mic audio from a USB connected computer (Blue Yeti).

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI

Michael Blake
k9...@mac.com <mailto:k9...@icloud.com>