There's no way 40W drives exactly 1500W on all bands.  Here's what I get into a DL (no tuner).  Power measurements based on the LP100 which was calibrated by Larry last year - not what I would call a current cal but certainly better than a generic Bird.  Feed with a key-down in CW, with the data taken after about 5 seconds to get a stable reading.  Dont' take the values as gospel.  There is at least a 50w error range.

160        1644W

80            1466W

40            1515W

20            1436W

15        1371W

10        1414W

But it's definitely unrealistic to assume that the amp should have a uniform gain vs. frequency response.  The gain is going to be related to many things.

There is a LPF hanging off the back and it's insertion loss is a factor - and it's going to drift a touch as it heats up.  Theres the front  end which likly a pad.  The overall gain is be in compliance with the FCC regulation.  Most SS amps native gain is such that a few watts is enough to get LL output levels and I'm sure that's the case with the LDMOS even if they have a ton of NFB in the design.  Plus the effects of the combiners internally which are definitely not going to be completely flat.  And there is some compression that gets to be easily measurable once you hit about the KW level.  And temp.  And who knows what else.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com