On 8/17/2018 11:20 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:
Something to bear in mind in this discussion is that we run our equipment in ICAS, not CCS.  Even in a contest situation we probably only transmit half the time.  During the off (RX) time the amp isn't drawing any plate, collector or drain current, nor is it drawing much current on CW, key up or SSB between syllables. RTTY is a "continuous" mode without the syllabic breather, but it's still intermittent.

Great analysis. Long-winded ragchewing on AM or keydown digital modes is probably worst case for dissipation. I don't do either, so my worst case is WSJT modes on 6M (6M because efficiency is lowest), or RTTY contesting when I'm running (that is, CQing) with few answers.

73, Jim K9YC