So if I utilize these same compression and hpf adjustments and equalization my 100W will sound like 1KW??  maybe on paper..

KU8L

On 08/20/18 2:12 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 8/20/2018 7:37 AM, K3ICH wrote:
As the saying goes, "Five watts is five watts".

The saying is an oversimplification. The KX3 includes two important tools to increase talk power on SSB -- TX equalization, which can be set to emphasize speech intelligibility and minimize power wasted below 400 Hz, and amplitude compression and peak limiting, which brings quieter speech sounds closer to the level of louder ones.  When set for about 10 dB of compression on voice peaks, it makes 5 w the equivalent of 50W, and the TXEQ settings add 3 dB, making 5W the equivalent of 100W.

These tools, which are called "audio signal processing," have been used in broadcasting since at least the '50s. They are also built into the K3, K3S, and KX2.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to radio.k...@gmail.com