From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of hawley, charles j jr
Sent: Sunday, September 9, 2018 7:59 AM
To: David Gilbert <xda...@cis-broadband.com>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] searching for post by Wayne n6kr about counterpoise

The ARRL recently published a book "Receiving Antennas for the Radio
Amateur". It maintains that "The function of transmitting antennas is to
radiate power efficiently, while the function of receiving antennas is to
present the best signal-to-noise ratio to the receiver". It maintains that
"using the same antenna for transmitting and receiving roughly coincided
with the advent of the transceiver in the 1950s and 1960s." And "The glaring
differences in priorities between transmitting and receiving antennas
becomes...well...glaring...when we start looking into the concept of
efficiency." And "some of the most effective receiving antennas are
abysmally poor performers when efficiency alone is considered".
It's an interesting book.

Chuck
KE9UW

Sent from my iPhone, cjack

> On Sep 9, 2018, at 2:16 AM, David Gilbert <xda...@cis-broadband.com>
wrote:

> I truly do not understand why this idea that "I can work anything I can
hear" hangs around as a gauge of anything meaningful.  It's a totally
meaningless reference.  Antennas are generally (as in almost always)
reciprocal between transmit and receive, so if you suck on transmit you're
likely to equally suck on receive.  So yeah ... most of us probably can work
anything we can hear but that doesn't mean anything other than we haven't
managed to screw up the physics of the world.

> 73,
> Dave   AB7E
>

>> On 9/8/2018 5:00 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:
>> During the runup to Cycle 19 [!1957 for me], it was said you could work
anything you could hear on 10 with 20 watts to the window screen. Window
screens were copper in those days.  I tried it out with my "28-28"
[6J6-2E26] rockbound 10 m TX, and indeed, I seemed to be able to work
everything I heard if I had a 40 m rock close enough.  Window screens are no
longer copper so I don't think it would work today.  My "tuner" was the
adjustable link coupling to the tank.  College starting 1957, military and
SE Asia in 62, and Cycle 19 was in the rear view mirror when I got home at
the end of 1967.  Oh that Cycle 25 would repeat even half of 19!

delivered to ksto...@ac0h.net