Cliff,

The decoder demands precise timing of dits, dahs, and the spacing.
It sounds like your "L" being decoded as ED is a result of a slight pause between the leading dit and the following part of the dahs and ending dits. Similarly, "R" coming out as ED is the same problem - a slight pause after the first dit.

73,
Don W3FPR