"The ONLY good use of ALC between rig and amp is to protect the amp from a
failure in the antenna system. "

The KPA500 doesn't work that way so I'd be surprised if the KPA1500 did. For
the KPA500 a badly mismatched load will trip the reflected power fault without
making any change to the ALC voltage. I know this because ALC voltage is
included in my logger data set and I have several logger records for Fault 09.
(It's not that I'm really careless about antenna switching. FL09 was a
deliberate test case for evaluating a KPA500 firmware defect.)

73,

Andy k3wyc