73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 9/25/2018 8:48 PM, JOE wrote:
On 9/25/2018 8:15 PM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Message: 6
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 14:36:59 -0400
From: Grant Youngman<ghyoung...@gmail.com>
To: Elecraft Reflector Reflector<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] Shipping high value items by UPS

The thread started by the gentleman who thought his KX2 might be dead and needed to go to Elecraft motivated me to make this comment about shipping.

I shipped my K3 back to Elecraft earlier this year via UPS and $2,500 insurance.  I use a local hardware store in my town that has UPS service at the normal rates.  They said they use a company that contracts with UPS for shipping.  The company that provides the UPS service to the hardware store requires inspection of high value packages, reportedly due to some fraud cases in the past.  Because they know me well they took my word that I double boxed it and packed it well, I didn't have to unpack it.  I had shipped many things with them in the past with no problems.

For the return address, I use my local post office where I have a PO box.  It's a little known fact that the USPS will accept packages for PO box holders from any private carrier, UPS, FedEx, etc.  They will also sign for some packages requiring signature if you have a signature on file.  This solves my problem of packages left on my doorstep for people to potentially steal.  This also solves the problem of people/businesses that will not ship to a PO box.

This is how I address packages to be mailed to me.

My Name
34 Main Street  #(my PO box number)
East Haddam, CT 06423

A really nice feature of the post office.  Look at:

<https://www.usps.com/manage/po-boxes.htm>

73, Joe, K1ike