" I thought the KPA500 was designed to protect against that user error. Seems I
was wrong. "

According to the KPA500 Owner's Manual the KPA500 should react to excessive
drive by first switching in the attenuator and, if that is not sufficient drive
reduction, issuing hard fault 06 and dropping to STBY.

Why was this KPA500 not protected? Are all KPA500 at risk of damage if driven
with 100W? Will Elecraft be reviewing the fault log to see what went wrong?

My standard procedure would prevent ever driving with excessive power. (Change
bands, drop to STBY, send 5 W tune signal, read LP100A SWR, check TS-590 power
setting, if power correct and SWR ok then select OPER). However, I know I'm
fallible and it is a design goal that my TS-590 <> Elecraft interface will
fully automate this sequence.

Andy, k3wyc