There's not a whole lot of info out there, as well as not many making DC - DC chargers that will work on LiPo or LiFePO4's. I went down this road a couple months back looking for something to run my KX2 mobile out in the boonies and still be able to charge without use of a geny. I stumbled upon an outfit out of VKland that seems to fit the bill.

Company called REDARC: https://www.redarc.com.au/battery-chargers/in-vehicle-chargers They do have a US distributor now from what I can tell. Their unit also has Solar input - which would be a plus - and designed to handle the new "smart alternators" that are common on newer vehicles...I didn't know a thing about these newer alternators until I found this site. This is a common deal in VK with all the "overlanders". Dual batteries to run the fridge, radios, and other camp assy's while in the "outback". Charge off of solar while parked, 12vdc while in motion, to keep the LiFePO4's
(aux battery) charged.

I've used a goal zero inverter, and it works ok - if I don't use it and any radio gear at the same time. ;-)

Todd KH2TJ

K9MA wrote:
Hi Dennis,

You're missing the charge controller. Li-Ion batteries are very fussy about the way they are charged. While it would be more efficient to run the charger directly on 12 Volts, such a charger for the Elecraft batteries is not available, as far as I know. Even if it were, it would probably cost more than the inverter. The inverter, of course, also has other uses.

Elecraft also makes it very clear that their batteries shouldn't be charged with any other charger, and there are good reasons for that.

73,
Scott K9MA