-----Original Message-----
From:  Phil Kane
  This may sound trite, but I tried my "hi-fi" stereo headphones
  instead of my "communications" headphones.  Boy. what a
  difference!!  I suspect, though, that all it does is to allow
  more white noise and overtones to be heard.  My desk mike
  (Adonis 308) has switch settings for "SSB" and "FM" - same
  theory.
---------------------

Listening with hi-fi headphones can be a real eye (ear) opener.  It can
show you how noisy the IF and AF sections of your rig are.  It can
really start to show the difference between good sounding SSB and poor
sounding SSB.  I hear many signals out there that sound terrible, often
from contesters or DXers who think that they'll get more QSOs by turning
"that" knob up further.  I've also heard some stunningly lovely signals
from guys running studio mics and processing (e.g BBE Sonic Maximizer).

To me, hi-fi SSB is a bit misleading.  I'm not interested in super-wide
bandwidth CD quality sound on 40 meters.  On the other hand, having
limited bandwidth does not mean the signal has to sound thin / muffled /
distorted / etc.  I think there is a lot that can be done with the
signal to make the quality better while keeping "talk power" up there
and not making the bandwidth overly wide.

I don't like the phrase "communication quality".  It lower's the bar to
accept anything that is marginal.  I think about the difference in
quality between cel-phones and wired phones.  Both are about the same
bandwidth but the wired phone sounds better.  Both are communication
quality.

One of these days I'll get the SSB option for my K2, set the bandwidth
wide, and play with some of my mics / mixer / compressor / parametric
EQ.  The problem is, I'm having so much fun with CW that I just don't
have the motivation to get on SSB.

- Keith KD1E -
- K2 5411 -