It would be nice to know what conditions caused this FET failure. Is there
an easy way to know when this failure occurs other than getting crappy
audio reports?

John KK9A

Peter Dougherty (W2IRT) wrote:

This happened to me at the start of CQWW-SSB in October. My K3s is finally
enroute back home after a 6 week stay in the Elecraft Repair Department
with a blown FET in the HPA, cause unknown. And I know I've been told I'm
not the only one to suffer this failure, and it sounds like this is now a
known issue.

Does anybody have an idea as to what could be causing these FETs to fail,
or steps to consider to lessen the chances of it happening? I can't speak
for anybody else, but I baby the heck out of my gear and was shocked to
discover it failed, when feeding directly into a KPA-1500.

Regards,
Peter Dougherty, W2IRT