Bart PA3GUY wrote:

This has been on my mind too for a long time. I even seem to recall I've got a schematic saved somewhere for a circuit that does just that, so somebody beat us to it. I just never came around to built and test it for myself.... For details, contact me offline and I'll try to dig up the circuit.

I'd expect the hiss that 'll always appear in one ear to cause fatigue.

Anybody 'been there, done that' and willing to tell us about it?

Back in 1973, G3OTK suggested a high pass - low pass filter scheme to obtain
a pseudo-stereo effect for binaural reception, and I believe that his
filters 'crossed over' at 500Hz. I would agree that something would have to
be done about hiss coming from the 'high frequency' channel, but it might
have to be something more clever than just adding a low pass 'hiss filter' -
I don't know.

PA0CX came up with a very interesting scheme in 1958 named
'Frequencieschaar' which split a double sideband AM signal into two halves
so that a pseudo-stereo audio output could be obtained. This helped to
overcome the problems of selective fading and QRM. Also in Chapter 9 of
'Experimental Methods in RF Design' by W7ZOI, KK7B and W7PUA there is an
example of a simple binaural receiver taken from QST, March 1999.

Personally I like to use binaural reception. Why is difficult to explain,
but the effect is like being 'inside' the band with signals on each side
which helps the a lot when trying to listen to one signal amongst the QRM.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD