If I could throw in a few thoughts:

Building my K2 was by far the most fun building experience in my 45 years
of hamming, including many Heathkits.

The KAF2 filter is superb imho.  My K2 has a KDSP2 instead, but I use an
external KAF2 on my old Heathkits, and it turns their wide receivers from
useless to really good on CW.

There are several ways to get an amp keying signal out of a K2, the 160m
board requires one wire to a connector, period.  If the other methods are
as easy, perhaps Don W3FPR can mention them, but it is something to
consider for future growth, like a KXPA100.

On the noise blanker--my K2 NB was useless.  I even sent it back to Don for
testing, where it passed with no problems.  I found a mod on the web, and
PRESTO, it works great on my local noise.  Other friend's stock KNB2 work
fine for them.  It just depends, but there are multiple easy mods out there
to help make it work for you.  I built multiple versions.

The KIO2 gives you a lot of flexibility as others have mentioned.

The KX3 does everything better, except at being a K2.  I can't put my
finger on it.  For a CW guy they are just special.  They sound great and
you can listen to them ad infinitum.  I'm looking at my K2 sitting on top
of my covered K3S right now.  I can't stop looking.  The K2 is the Sophia
Loren of radios.

Before the KX3 and KX2, I would haul my K2 to parks while the XYL painted.
Having the KAT2 gives you great flexibility for a wire in a tree, or the
new Elecraft ultra-portable QRP vertical.

Have fun!

73 Eric WD6DBM