From: Al Lorona <alor...@sbcglobal.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net, Richards <jricha...@k8jhr.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Sorta OT - assistive technology assistance

JR - I have a folder of dozens of replies to Elecraft posts that I've never sent. (I try to exercise discipline so that the moderator doesn't have to slap me on the hand.) But your reply said *exactly* what a draft that I had written said. I'm very happy that you expressed the same idea.

Building vs. buying, especially when buying is cheaper, is the homebrewer's dilemma. You now have to really want to learn something to build something yourself, and not merely save money.? More and more, homebrewing is in effect paying "tuition" to learn by doing.

I built a QRP transceiver totally from scratch last year, and virtually everybody I told asked me, "Why?" It took me weeks and weeks and, had I not been blessed with a really good junk box, would have cost me more than a KX2. But... I got to work with some really cool ultra low noise op amps and figured out how to get a half-watt out of a 2N2222, so putting this particular rig on the air for the first time was my "diploma".

I hope your construction project goes well. Please let us know when you get it working.

Al? W6LX

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail: