G3TXQ's work here is awesome, as is N7WS's before him. I'm thinking two things:

Thing 1 is that, clearly, water really messes up window line's loss. However,
I'm guessing that a/ in a place like southern California, where perpetual
drought is the new normal; and b/ in an installation where the window line,
rather than running perfectly horizontally so water can pool, has a slant,
allowing it to shed water; a ham would probably be fine using it. All one would
have to do to discourage pooling on a horizontal run is twist the line once
every few meters.

Thing 2 is that G3TXQ shows matched loss at 6.72 MHz in heavy rainfall
increasing from 0.2 to 1.1 dB per 100 feet, which seems totally acceptable for
worst-case rainfall. In moderate rainfall the loss increased to only 0.34
dB/100 ft. That's lower than any coax out there.

I myself would never use it (for reasons other than water loss), but window
line seems like an okay choice for those hams who can't or won't use coax.

Al  W6LX

Glossary:

"Window line" = Wireman 551 or 552 or equivalent

>>> http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/wet_ll/