Hey folks,

I did not operate during the big contest this weekend but spent a bit of
time listening.  I just got my KAF2 audio filter built and installed and
was anxious to see how it did.  While tuning around I noticed some
"problems" that are probably just characteristics of the rig.

On 40 CW, there were some strong signals to my 28' vertical.  30-40 dB
over S9 was not uncommon.  I noticed with one of these stations, I could
hear "clicks" up and down the band for +/- several KHz.  I though he had
key clicks.  Then I found a 2nd signal that produced the same results.
Then a 3rd and a 4th.  I suppose it is possible that all of them had
issues with key clicks but it is also possible that I've hit a limit in
the K2's ability to handle strong signals close in.

All of the signals were strong.  K2 doesn't do this as a rule on S9
signals.  In fact, this is the first time I've noticed it so I'm going
to say that signals 20 dB over S9 don't produce it (I'd have to double
check that though).  This makes me think it is an issue with only very
strong signals.

Narrowing the IF filter helped.  Engaging the attenuator helped.
Kicking in the audio filter helped but through it all, the clicks were
still there.  I have no NB so it wasn't being generated by that circuit.

So does this sound like normal fare for the K2 or does it sound like an
issue?

- Keith KD1E -
- K2 5411 -