From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Brad Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ic7800] The 7800 as a QRP rig...a couple of observations

Even though I have had a Ten Tec Argo V and an Elecraft K1 in the shack as
dedicated QRP rigs, I find myself switching to the 7800 during QRP events
because of its superior filtering, noise reduction capabilities, and
available computer interface options.

It appears that the minimum power output of my 7800 is 3 watts, which is
fine as I'm not interested in running less than 5 watts. Not surprisingly,
the power output meter on the 7800 appears to be inaccurate at such low
power settings. 5 watts output as measured by the OHR WM-2 QRP wattmeter
into a dummy load does not illuminate any power output level bars on the
7800. However, 10 watts output measured on the WM-2 correlates with 10 watts
indicated on the 7800's meter. Of course the WM-2 itself may be a little
inaccurate.

And as is stated in the manual, the 7800's auto antenna tuner will not work
at power levels less than 8 watts on HF.

I have one of the 7800's antenna ports dedicated to QRP operation and have
the QRP wattmeter in line with that output, leading to a switch that selects
between the various rigs in the shack. Everything is fine as long as I
remember to switch antenna ports before going QRO with 200 watt, since the
WM-2 will probably fry if it gets hit with more than 20 watts.

It sure would be cool if you could set power output maximums in the antenna
memories, but I imagine I'm the only one who has come up with a need for
such a thing....

73,

Brad
AA5CH