Peter,

Isolate the problem to the amplifier. Get a high power dummy load if you do not already have one. Run the amp at 1000 watts or more into the dummy load. If the amp behaves the same as it does with the antenna, then the problem is in the amplifier. But if the amp behaves into the dummy load, look for marginal connections to your antenna, PL-259 connectors not sufficiently tightened, balun overload, arcing at either the center insulator or at the end insulators. There is very high RF voltage at the antenna ends, and it may be arcing over the end insulators - don't overlook that possibility.

73,
Don W3FPR