I wonder sometimes if DXCC has become an oxymoron of magnitude similar to NTS?  When originally conceived, actually contacting 100 "countries" was a huge endeavor.  Even making transoceanic contacts between the largest of stations was very difficult.  Today's world is so very very different.  When So. Sudan showed up, a new-ish ham said to me, "I've never seen such pileups!"  I told him, "ATNO for everyone and those who sit at the top of the list with 'all' of them need to keep their seats."

After I worked BS7H, I showed my wife a photo of W6RGG at one of the positions.  She said, "You count that rock as a country?"  I started to explain and then passed, the rock is claimed by more than one country of course and I'd already been through it with her over VP6DI.

As I said when I started this, I just wondered recently while in the shower.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County