Hello John
I have both the KDSP2 and the KAF2 filters.
I only use the DSP filter anymore.

The DSP filter makes a good supplement to
the basic crystal filter.  Set up the crystal
filter first, using Spectrogram.  Then turn
on the DSP filter at comparable bandwidths
and adjust the crystal filter/DSP filter
combo for the best overall cw passband.  Works
very well indeed.

The noise reduction ability depends somewhat
on the bandwidth of the crystal filter before
the DSP.  With too narrow a filter the noise
is less readily reduced, but it can be reduced
to some degree.  At wider bandwidths, the DSP
NR is more effective.  The NR would be readily
apparent in ssb service, as there the BW is a
couple of kHz or more.  The "digital" sound
from the DSP depends on how aggressive you have
set the DSP.

DSP NR complements the regular noise blanker, and
is less effective on the kinds of noise sources
where the blanker shines.  Together, they do a
decent job of reducing noise overall.

Good luck and 73
Bob N6WG