I use Win4K3Suite with my KX3, and it will at least shut OFF the radio from
the software. What it won't do is turn it back ON.

As I understand it, what the two-button method is designed to do is to make
sure the radio saves its current state before it shuts down. If you turn it
off via the power line, it will lose any information or changes since you
last shut it down properly. Theoretically, you could shut it off with a
relay on the power, and all that would happen is it would revert to an
earlier state that was saved by shutting it off with the two-finger salute.
The problem is, as you noticed, with turning it back ON again. Turning off
the power to turn it off only loses the current state, and that might be
okay for your use case, but I don't know of any way to turn it back ON
again by turning the power ON. This is one of the disadvantages of a
soft-switch approach.

You might be better served by using a radio that CAN be turned on and off
from the power line without causing difficulties, if that is a dealbreaker.
Unless you can figure out how to bypass the soft-switch by modifying the
radio, something I certainly would NOT want to do myself. I'd probably let
all the magic smoke out if I tried.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 10:48 PM Kenneth P Alexander <ve3...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm considering buying a KX2 for remote operation; CW and digital.  The
> radio will be set up in VE3.  I am retired and living in Thailand.  I can't
> get a Thai license because Canada and Thailand do not have a reciprocal
> licensing agreement.
>
> I'm planning on using Win4K3Suite to control the rig and will have the
> power supply and remote computer on a UPS.  That said, I'm sure there will
> be occasions when I will have to shut down and re-start the KX2, but this
> seems to be impossible because the 2-button on/off switching can't be done
> remotely.
>
> Is it possible to "hotwire" the KX2 so it's ON all the time?  Then I could
> re-start it remotely by putting the 12V supply on a USB controlled relay.
> I'll be living 12 time zones away and need this to be very reliable.  The
> setup will be in a friend's summer cottage and he's only there a few times
> a year.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Ken Alexander (VE3HLS)
> So Phisai, Thailand