On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 12:06 PM Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
wrote:

> ... FT8 can work about 10 dB deeper into the noise than CW with good
> radios and very good operators
> on both ends. I've worked a lot of both modes.
>
> On 5/19/2019 6:50 AM, Wes wrote:
> > FT8 reports negative SNRs number but we both know those are bogus....

 For those who care about the relative communications efficacy of various
modes, here's a Joe Taylor document from the archives with some discussion
and analysis, which provides theoretical confirmation of the comments made
above by Jim and earlier by Joe W4TV.
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/EME_Florence_2008.pdf
As a side note, we all seen many occasions when FT8 or WSPR could decode
signals that were completely inaudible and invisible on a pan.

73, Tony KT0NY