Hi,

That makes sense. I assume this is a bootstrap problem then i.e. the J310 has
to be oscillating in the default state before the VCO linearisation can run and
set up the LUT inside the EEPROM. Making a large assumption there of course as
I can't see the source code!

I tried the 10pF trick from another thread that you mentioned before after
researching this issue and unfortunately that didn't start the oscillation.

I did some experiments and will complete one more:

Experiment 1 .... Did a hard reset (456+power up) to see if it reset the data.
It showed the initialisation info message. FAIL

Experiment 2 .... I just checked the VXO range by pulling R19 and using another
bench supply. The thing gives a relatively reliable 3v p-p until the varactor
control voltage hits 6.8V then it stalls. Obviously as DAC output eventually
ends up at 7.07V it's game over straight up.

Experiment 3 .... If I leave R19 lifted and run the PLL cal it doesn't throw
info 232 straight away but appears to hang, probably because there's no control
voltage doing anything which is hopeful if it works how I think it does!

Experiment 4 .... (in progress) I'm going to put a J309 in (I don't have any
spare J310s I don't think and this is same FET but binned with different Idss)
and see if it oscillates across the full range. I will then run PLL cal. If
that works then it'll at least clarify first assumption.

I checked /DAC2CS and it does indeed go low during the load operation. The
issue is the control data sent to the DAC is the same.

Thanks for your help. Some ideas to try!

Best regards,

Chris