When I built an interface using one of the $5 sound USB dongles, I had to insert a pad to avoid overdriving the microphone input of the dongle. I have 1K across the input to the dongle and 47K in series with the input.

See Fred Cady's (NE7X RIP) KX3 book pages 119-120 for details. Note that he uses different values of resistors. I think many ratios and values will work.

73 Bill AE6JV