I use the RF Gain to control K3S output to FT8. I think I read somewhere that
you should also turn OFF AGC.

I also use RF Gain to reduce band hiss when operating. Reduces fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On May 22, 2019, at 1:14 PM, Frank O'Donnell <vf...@inkbox.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks to everyone for the help getting my new K3S dialed-in to work with
> digital apps such as WSJT-X and FLdigi on my Mac, with the K3S attached to
> the Mac by a single USB cable. Overall it's functioning very well now, and
> I've been working some nice DX.
>
> I have one question at the moment. Especially under certain band conditions,
> audio level sent from the K3S to the apps seems low. With my prior rig (Icom
> 7300), my primary way of dialing up and down the audio level sent from the
> rig to the computer was by adjusting the RF Gain knob, which if turned far
> enough (i.e. too far) would virtually always put the WSJT-X received signal
> meter far into the red. With the K3S, I gather it's normal to operate with RF
> Gain turned fully clockwise all of the time. The only other adjustment I've
> found on the K3S is Config > Line Out. The default appears to be 10, and even
> if I take it up to the maximum of 100 it doesn't put WSJT-X into the red.
> (Not that operating in the red is desirable -- since clipping will occur --
> but in the past I've found that if the rest of the band is quiet enough,
> WSJT-X's ability to decode a very faint DX signal may be improved by bring
> the received audio level up just to the edge of the red.) I'm much newer to FL
 digi, where the signal levels I'm seeing seem chronically low, but that may
reflect band conditions (and, I'm told by ops more experienced with it, that
tends to be the way FLdigi always looks compared to WSJT-X).