chrome benchers which have worked great for years. I've thinking of
stuff like Begali and the like. I'm a 'try before you buy' type of
person. There's no way I would order an expensive key like that without
trying a few qso's out to see how I like it. What's the best way to do

I don't know if any dealers of these high-end keys and paddles offer a
money-back trial or not.  Otherwise I suppose you might have to travel
to Dayton next year and visit all the vendors' displays.

I suppose a local club could organize a "key night" to let hams have a
quick try of various straight keys and paddles from their membership's
own shacks.

-Michael Taylor, VE3TIX