Good morning Wayne,

That's a great idea; trying the K4. See you at Boxboro.

Harry K1RSA

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2019 8:21 PM
To: hwhi...@maine.rr.com
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>; k...@yahoogroups.com;
elecraft...@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft K4 and Accessibility

> On May 24, 2019, at 5:00 PM, hwhi...@maine.rr.com wrote:

> Last week the K4 was announced so I rejoined the reflector. ... From all
that I have read, the controls will be even more complex.

The K4's controls are actually quite a bit simpler, and more intuitive,
thanks to the new display.

We were limited to a small display with fixed segments in the K3/K3S, which
constrained the ways we could provide visual feedback. Also, as the years
went by, we added many new features that, in turn, were constrained by the
existing switches/knobs/display. This evolution may not have been ideal from
a UI standpoint, but it provided our customers with features they wanted,
without the need to continually buy a new radio.

We accepted a long time ago that we can't please everyone or satisfy every
ergonomic requirement. Our business was forged at Field Day, so portability
will remain a high priority. Lifting or carrying a K4 won't hurt aging
backs.

We (and hundreds who tried the radio at Dayton, expressing delight at the
new front panel) feel that the K4's UI is not just a significant advance
over the K3/K3S, but also over most other transceivers in its class,
regardless of their size and weight.

I invite you to try the radio in person if you get the chance.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---