The K4 is always doing direct sampling for panadapter purposes.

If the HDR module is turned off or is not present, the K4 also does direct
sampling for demodulation.

If the HDR module is turned on, two additional ADCs are used, right at the
outputs of the crystal filters (oversimplifying a bit). The original two ADCs
are still being used for the panadapter.

Wayne
N6KR