Robie,

Either you have a KX3 problem or you are not tapping the knobs correctly.

Do you have the KX3 manual? If not, download it from the Elecraft website and read through it. If you need more comprehensive and detailed information along with exercises, you can order the Fred Cady (SK) manual from Elecraft.

For firmware updates, you will need the KXUSB cable which you can order from Elecraft. As an alternative if you have an RS-232 port on your computer or you have a USB to RS-232 adapter, you can build the KXSER cable - the schematic is in the Elecraft XG3 manual near the end.

You will also need to download the KX3 Utility from the Elecraft website and install it on your computer.

73,
Don W3FPR