Mike,

What is the serial number of your K2? That is helpful information - the Field Test K2s (SN 100 or less) are a bit different than the Rev A K2.

There should be only one diode from Q18 gate to ground. The anode connects to the gate and the cathode to ground.

While the VFO/ALC mod is a benefit, it will not produce any change in the S-meter.

As for the S-meter problem, determine if it is an LED display problem or a problem with the actual S-meter circuit. Rotate the RF Gain control from full clockwise slowly to the CCW position. If the LED display is working, you will see the S-meter indication increase. If it does not, you have a display problem - reflow the soldering on the LED bargraph and Front Panel RP2, then check again.

73,
Don W3FPR