From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Wayne Burdick
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 9:19 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] K4: superhet vs. direct sampling

The superhet module buys a lot of BDR improvement. But also -- a subtlety I've
failed to mention so far -- the superhet module is intended to somewhat improve
2 kHz IMDDR3 *and* make this figure more repeatable.

Q: Say what?

A: As Rob Sherwood noted many times before finally immortalizing this point in
his must-read footnotes, A-to-D converters sharing the same part number are not
all created equal. The long-time previous occupant of his Top Spot benefitted
from a never-corroborated monotonicity in its ADC's LSBs. An act of god. The
product of a very good day at the silicon foundry when, serendipitously, all
the bunny suits were defect-free, and no one was exhaling molecules of grain
alcohol or other substances from the night before.

That said, most ops can get by without the extra BDR and IMDDR3, because
they're not situated in the RF equivalent of the Gulf Stream. Hence the
different K4 models.

73,
Wayne
N6KR