Wes,

You are asking about the limitations of the computer software applications, particularly those providing virtual ports. So I don't think a different radio will change things.

You might try Com0Com - have not used it, but I know it is different than LP-Bridge.

I think your problem is with LP-Bridge, which buffers K2 information to take the load off the K3 serial communication.

Yes, WSJT-X wants to have total control of the radio.

73,
Don W3FPR