The Noise Blanker only affects repetitive pulse noise such as ignition type noise.  Lightning and atmospheric is random noise. As to the Noise Reduction, I find that use of the Attenuation and RF Gain control is far superior to using DSP systems.  Also remember it is Noise Reduction and not noise elimination as many seem would like to believe.  If one realized 6 dB of noise reduction using the system that's good.   At the same time, any noise reduction system will add distortion to a SSB or CW signal.

From very authoritative source, the optimum receiver performance configuration is to have the no signal band noise about 10 dB above the noise floor of the receiver.    Since we can't change the noise floor of the receiver, the option is to change the incoming level of the noise as presented to the receiver input. The K3S receiver noise floor is about -135 dBM.   If one has a no signal band noise of S-5 or -97 dBm, the difference is 38 dB. This says we need 28 dB of Attenuation and RF Gain reduction.    That would be 15 dB of Attenuation and about 2 S units of RF Gain reduction or 10 dB of Attenuation and about 3 S units of RF Gain reduction.     This in no way changes the sensitivity of  the receiver nor does it impede the ability to hear weak signals. Unfortunately many hams belie that more gain is needed to hear weak signals.   With receivers of 50+ years ago often the receiver noise exceeded the band noise.  That however is not true with today's modern receivers.

As to using the Noise Reduction,  I do not use it at all for SSB and for CW.   If  I do use it I find  F1 and a value of 1 to 3 about all I'm willing to accept.  Of course the type and magnitude of the noise does require different settings.

If I use the Noise Blanker I find it necessary to first set the IF NB to OFF.  Then adjust the DSP through its values to get what seems to be the best result.  Remember the value.  Then set the DSP NB to OFF.   Then to the IF noise adjustment and find what seems to be the best result.   Leave it at that and then back to the DSP Noise blanker and set it to the previous obtained value.    This optimized them individually.   I've not been successful in trying to adjust both at the same time.    And remember it only works on repetitive noise such as ignition noise or line noise and not random atmospheric noise.

The receiver gain method works best.   Hope this helps.

73

Bob, K4TAX