Fred,

Does this condition also happen on SSB, RTTY, CW or only while running
digital mode?

Is it possible the PTT/key line is being dropped?  When the power drops is
there an asterisk (*) on the left side of the KPA500 display?  An asterisk
will appear on the left side of the LCD display if there is a valid PA KEY/
PTT signal is being received from the transceiver. If there is no asterisk
the amp isn't receiving a valid PA KEY/PTT signal from the transceiver.  If
there is an underscore instead of an asterisk it means that the amplifier
keying is being inhibited by a low signal on pin 11 of the AUX connector.

Ken
WA2LBI