I think we have the maximum power transfer theorem fallacy again here. The maximum power transfer theorem does not give the right result when you want to maximise efficiency, which is what you generally want to do in a transmitter, as it always results in worse than 50% efficiency.

One would expect the output impedance of transmitter to not only differ from 50 ohms but to radically differ from it. If I remember correctly for a simple transconductance device, the resistive component will be many times 50 ohms. If heavy negative feedback is used, I think it may actually be much lower than the "matched" value. See <https://www.edn.com/Pdf/ViewPdf?contentItemId=4124437> for typical real reverse termination impedances.

Unless you put a (ferrite) isolator between transmitter and filter your filter design needs to assume far from 50 ohm reverse termination.

Putting a matching network in will simply destroy the PA efficiency, or even destroy the PA, through overheating. If one really wanted to do it, you would have to adjust the SWR based on a received signal.

That matching network, will, itself, have a frequency response, as will the one leading to antenna.

Another reason for not operating anywhere near 50 ohm reverse terminated is that the dynamic resistance of output devices is far from linear, and a close match could produce a lot of distortion.

--
David Woolley
Owner K2 06123