Hi Dan:

I'm posting my reply to your query to the Elecraft reflector as well, in the hope that it might assist others in procuring "failed" hot poles as well.

You wrote:
Can you describe what you mean by "hot poles"? And any idea how I
could get hold of some from the local electric company here? When
they fail the test, are they sold as surplus or just destroyed?

Generally, most electric utilities will destroy hot poles which fail their Hi-Pot tests. They don't want to risk that someone might get hold of one and then try to 'work' on their local wires with it...!

HOWEVER... if you can develop a relationship with someone at your local utility, especially if you can convince them that their failed hot poles would be the best thing since sliced bread for local hams to use as EMERGENCY ANTENNA SUPPORTS, you might be able to get them to allocate some of their failed poles to your use.

It happened that one of our club members worked at an electric co-op which was tossing several poles and he (basically) just went out and scarfed them out of the trash bin before the trash collectors got to them. I think we managed to get hold of about 6-8 that way.

Then, a couple years ago, when the State of MO held an emergency comms exercise in the St Louis area, with emergency services reps from many city / county / private groups present, the comms rep from Missouri's largest electric utility was present and he saw is using a couple of the hot poles for supporting our HF dipoles and a couple VHF verticals. He mentioned the fact to one of our comms guys who immediately put the 'arm' on him for their company to make their failed poles available for the same usage, rather than destroying them. It worked, and we came away with a dozen or so poles, most of which have been distributed to ARES and emergency preparedness groups throughout the state. A VERY worthwhile project.

There are also companies (www.tmascto.com, for example) which sell NEW hot poles. But the price is fairly significant.

Good luck,

Tom Hammond    N0SS