It is possible that the ferrites are heating. If that is the case, you could
test it by transmitting a steady carrier for a minute while watching the SWR.
If it’s heating, there should be a gradual rise.
Twin lead will change characteristics significantly when it gets wet. So will
ladder line, although not as much. So if this happens when it rains, that’s the
issue.
There is also the possibility that there is a badly corroded connection inside
the balun which opens when something expands due to heat. I once had this
problem with what seemed to me to be a very well-constructed bead balun. The
connection to the coax connector was the culprit. It was hard to find because
it was intermittent.
If you replace the twinlead with ladder line, it will need to be slightly
longer because the ladder line has a greater velocity factor than the twinlead.
The Vf of twinlead is about 78% and of ladder line 91% so it will be longer by
a factor of 1.17.

Victor 4X6GP