See below.

GL,

/Rick N6XI

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 2:24 PM Larry Libsch <llib...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I am trying to set up the KPA1500 Remote Software to access my KPA1500
> from a distant location over the internet. Some questions:
>
> Will I be successful using a reserved IP rather than a static IP?

Probably. I use neither one. I use a standard, dynamic IP address with a
remoterig ddns server to keep it up to date. Works fine, with no need to
reserve an IP or get a static address.

> The laptop I plan to use as a server is on the same LAN as the KPA1500.
> When I click the Host Remote tab on the KPA1500 Remote software and
> enter the amplifier's IP clicking the test button finds the KPA1500. The
> Server Setup box is pre-filled with Port 4626. The instructions
> downloaded from Elecraft say " If connection (Connect Remote ) is from
> outside the LAN, TCP port (4526) must be opened and forwarded." What are
> the internal and external ports that need to be forwarded?

On the router that controls the LAN on which the KPA1500 resides, forward
port 4626 to 4626 on the server that is running KPA1500 Remote. (You said
4526 in one place above; I think that was a typo.) Specify the local IP
address of that server, typically 192.168.x.y.

> Is it the
> public IP of the router to which they need to be forwarded?

no - see above

> Are the
> Username and Password prefilled as admin what I will need to connect
> from the computer attempting to control the amp over the internet?

The connection parameters on the control side need to match those on the
server (amp) side. You can use the default "admin" or specify your own
username and password. Also specify any port number, so long as it matches
on the control side, amp side, and amp side router port forwarding table. I
use the default 4626.

> On the Connect Remote tab the Host/IP is the public IP of the laptop on
> the LAN with the KPA1500?

You specify the external IP address of the LAN on which the server resides.
If it's static, it won't change. I don't know how "reserved" works. As
mentioned above, I use the remoterig ddns server to maintain a dynamic
external IP address, so the string I use looks like this:
      xyzzyyyy.ddns.remoterig.com
where "xyzzyyyy" is the coded 8-character string that RemoteRig gave me
when I set up to use its ddns server. If you don't use RemoteRig boxes, you
might prefer to use a public ddns server or, as you suggest above, a
reserved or static IP address.

> User and Password are those entered in the
> Host Remote tab?

Yes, they must match.

> Larry, K4KGG

> Message delivered to rta...@gmail.com