Well, I actually have three reasons why I think the root of this discussion has been misguided:

1.  Typical portable operation is for casual fun while camping or just enjoying the outdoors.  Squeezing out every last dB doesn't quite fit that scenario.

2.  If you are trying to squeeze out every last dB for whatever reason, using an AX1 with 50 feet of coax and an extra tuner isn't the way to do it.  There are better choices for the same size and weight budget.

3.  And if you are using the AX1 with its very high Q, there are lots of other variables (length of counterpoise, terrain, height above ground, proximity to other detuning influences, etc) that will have far more impact on transmitted signal strength than a couple of extra dB loss due to SWR on the coax.  Wayne made pretty much the same comment in the context of SWR, but the same holds for signal strength.

Use whatever you want.  It makes no difference to me other than the misconceptions that come with it.  I've done a LOT of portable operation over the years, and my first priority has always been to put up the best antenna I could within whatever constraints I had at the time.  I don't own an AX1 but it appears to be a fine antenna for its intended purpose, which was essentially a backpacker antenna usable even for pedestrian mobile.   However, if I was on a camping trip (tent, cooler, etc) and wanted to get out better, I can think of better options.  I do own a KX2 and I use it with a homebrew 20m vertical that I can easily carry in one hand for miles (five 4' sections of lightweight tubing, one of which is for elevating the radials) and set up in fewer minutes than I have fingers.

73,
Dave   AB7E