From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> on
behalf of Ray Albers <rayalb...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:47:10 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 - Steppir interfacing

So a couple of days ago I posted tale of woe, trying to get my newly
acquired K3 to work with MixW - well, thanks to a few off line e-mails and
some stumbling around, I got that working. Ditto, got N1MM+ working great.

Next - how to get the K3 to play with my SteppIR vertical antenna
controller. Worked fine with my ICOM 746PRO, where I had both MixW and
SteppIR autotracking working fine with the radio.

So:  My computer is a Windows XP thing that I bought specifically because
it has an actual RS232 (9 pin) serial interface, so no need to struggle
with a serial to USB adapter.  I made up a Y cable to interconnect K3,
SteppIR controller and computer. Lots of Googling told me that the
connections to SteppIR controller should be only DTR and Gnd, so I made
sure that was how it was wired. Other posts point out that the CONFIG
AutoInf should be set to Auto1 (one post said it should be set to Norm, so
I tried it both ways). I even tried setting K3, SteppIR and computer to a
slower data rate (9600) in case the 38k rate was too fast. No joy. Did the
obvious newbie stuff like turning things on and off, plugging and
unplugging cables - still NG.

As I said, my logging program and N1MM are working just fine (one at a
time, of course), and I could live without having the SteppIR do
autotracking as I change bands/frequencies, but dagnabbit!!! it's the
principle of the thing!  I ought to be able to have everything working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

73
Ray K2HYD

Message delivered to k9...@live.com