It's a poorly kept secret that the AXE1 40 meter extender for the AX1 whip is
now available...info at:

    https://elecraft.com/products/axe1_40-meter-antenna-extender

I've been using a prototype AXE1 all summer, so I thought I'd share my
experience.

The AX1 (with or without the extender) is intended for a few specific scenarios:

   - pedestrian mobile

   - "stealth"

   - backup for full-size antennas

   - emergency

Thankfully, I haven't had cause to use the AX1 in an emergency. (It may be just
a matter of time. My 15 year old son and I do some pretty extreme/remote
hiking.) But I have used it in the other three cases.

My favorite place to take the AX1+AXE1 is Bedwell-Bayfront Park, on the west
side of San Francisco Bay. The park is surrounded on three sides by wetlands
and former salt ponds. It's a great place for weekend birdwatchers. During the
week, I'm often one of few visitors.

The AXE1 comes with a 33' counterpoise wire. This is absolutely required for
transmit purposes (as is an ATU, given the narrowband nature of all short
whips). Despite the length, I've had no trouble using the whip while walking,
i.e. pedestrian mobile. The wire glides along the dirt trail and slips through
vegetation. The whip and counterpoise together only add a few ounces to the
weight of the KX2, so extended hand-held operation is possible.

As for "stealth" operation, the definition is subjective. I define it as
"operating a ham radio station in public without anyone having a clue." There
are times when this is useful. At the beach, you can sit in a low chair, with
your radial buried in the sand so no one trips over it.

Finally, the AXE1 is a great backup antenna. Since all three pieces (AX1, AXE1,
and whip) are only 6" long, it can fit just about anywhere and be called into
service if, for example, your primary antenna becomes enamored of its tree.
This happened to me the other day right before a local 40 meter SSB net started
up. I was able to check in with the AXE1, and was heard in three states,
running only 5 watts.

Yes...you'll get out farther with a longer and higher antenna, but that isn't
always an option.

40 meter operation with a short antenna and QRP is definitely for the
adventurous. But every QSO, even with someone across the bay, brings back
memories of when I was first licensed. When QSOs were magical.

73,
Wayne
N6KR