Geoff,

A half square antenna is also a phased pair of 'upside-down' verticals -
easy to get up if you have 2 supports just a bit more than 1/4 wave high and
a bit more than a half wavlength apart.  Feed at the upper corner directly
with coax or with a parallel resonant tank at the lower end of the vertical
section.

I have one observation about the 'coax dipole' that you described - the
choking impedance must be very high for it to work properly - consider that
the impedance at the end of a halfwave dipole is quite high (4000 ohms or
so), to effectively de-couple the remaining coax shield at the 1/4 wave
point, you would need a choking impedance at least 5 times the impedance at
that point - more like 20,000 ohms.  The impedance of a few turns of coax is
not going to make an effective choke at this high impedance point.  I might
consider it to be a 3/4 wave dipole fed at the 1/4 wave point with the choke
placed at a point 1/2 wavelength down the coax.  I guess I have to try one
just to see how the feed impedance works out, several folks report success
with these coax antennas, but I do not understand how the choke could work
at 1/4 wavelength down the coax.

73,
Don W3FPR

...(snip)