Eric
I've watched kids use Morse practice oscillators of the simplest kind (we made
a kit for <£3 including the key) and they are absolutely taken by it.  I don't
think they compare their cell phones with this system at all. We do because we
are aware of the technology, but kids see things differently.
David G3UNA