-------- Original message --------From: Don Wilhelm <donw...@embarqmail.com>
Date: 10/26/19  6:39 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re:
[Elecraft] OT sort of. Charging Lithium Ion batteries I have Lithium batteries
in my laptop, my KX2, my electric razor, a tactical flashlight, and maybe some
other things.  I use the dedicated chargers for each of them.I think the
dedicated, automatic chargers fill the batteries to 100%, so there must not be
a lot of caution to only charge them to 80%.I cannot speak to the battery life
advantage of charging only to 80%, but if you are charging them for storage,
that may be a different matter.If you are simply charging them for use, wait
until the dedicated charger displays a green light and be done with it.If you
are not using a dedicated charger, look up the battery manufacturer's
information for charging levels - they know their batteries better than other
sources.Li-ion chemistry is different than LiFePO4, and the output voltage is
different.  What works for one may not apply to the other.  A similar situation
applies to Alkaline batteries vs. NiCad, and NiMH chemistries which we are more
familiar with.Look to the battery manufacturer's information for the best
source about your particular battery.73,Don W3FPROn 10/26/2019 5:33 PM, Fred
Jensen wrote:> My LiFePO4 charger has a charging program to stop at about 80%
and I've > been told that they like that if you're going to store them for
awhile. > Don't know if that applies to Li Ion, there are a lot of lithium >
chemistries these days.> > 73,> Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW> Sparks NV DM09dn> Washoe
County> > On 10/26/2019 1:17 PM, David Christ wrote:>> I recently read that
Lithium Ion batteries should be charged only to >> 80% unless you are going to
need full capacity.  Supposedly makes them >> last longer.>>>> Anyone ever
heard of this?>>>> If true does this also apply to LiPO4 batteries?>>>> David
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm> Post: mailto:Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
http://www.qsl.net/donate.html> Message delivered to
http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htmPost: mailto:elecr...@mailman.qth.netThis list
hosted by: http://www.qsl.netPlease help support this email list: