Jim, I think Paul is talking about something different here.  On Page 18 of the manual it describes tapping the ATU Tune button again within 3 seconds of completing the initial tune, to get closer yet.  I just tried it, and it works well so long as you have trained the tuner for both antennas on every segment.  Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to actually transmit the first character at full power when changing antennas or QSYing bigly.  I understand the tuner bypasses the amp until it has determined which setting it should use, which it can only do by learning what the load looks like by actually sending power into it.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.