Popular wisdom is that KAT500 should be trained for all frequencies in a band
and then operated in manual mode.  This is what I do at my station but I find
the training process to be a bit tedious and  I'm considering automating the
training process.

My idea is that, within the current band, the rig TX frequency will be set in
sequence to the center of each KAT500 frequency "bin" .  At each bin center
auto tune will be initiated at low power.  If the result is below a preset SWR
threshold the next "bin" will be selected and the steps repeated.  If the auto
tune does not result in an SWR below threshold then the sequence will be paused
to allow a manual tune attempt.

All the required hardware interfaces are already implemented in my Arduino
controller and the code requirements don't seem to be too complex.

Has anyone attempted this auto training idea before and, if so, what problems
were experienced?

Andy, k3wyc